It’s time to celebrate! This week I have been fortunate enough to receive two Awards, for which I am very grateful. Kevin from Voices of Glass kindly nominated me for the ‘Seven things about me’ Award and Kathy from BipolarandBreastless nominated me for the Sisterhood of the World Bloggers Award. Wow! I am very lucky to be recognised by two such fine friends and bloggers. A huge thank you to both Kevin and Kathy. 🙂
The rules of both Awards are largely the same, so I won’t repeat myself. This is what I have to do for each:
- Thank the blogger who nominated you.
- Share seven things about you. (so for two Awards I guess that means 14)
- Nominate other bloggers you think deserve the award, and post on their blog to let them know they have been nominated
So… 14 things about me
(I’m not sure that there are 14 interesting things that I haven’t already told you but we’ll see how we go).
1. I love vegetarian food. I do eat meat occasionally but would be happy without it.
2. My most precious possession is a gold ring made from a gold cufflink that my mother gave to my father when they were married. It is inscribed with Dad’s initials.
3. And my second most precious possession is my teddy bear. Those of you who know me in real life, or have read my book, will already know this.
4. I have two older brothers. One I have talked about who lives nearby and grows mushrooms, the other is an economist and lives in Wellington, NZ (apparently he was the one that got the brains from the family gene pool).
5. I have lived in 17 different houses in my life (actually one house I lived in twice so I guess that makes it 16).
6. I can play the flute. I also learnt classical guitar and piano although wouldn’t venture to play either in public.
7. My 20’s were my best years to date (even though my big mental health crash happened when I was 28) but I’m always looking to improve on that.
8. I have been a bridesmaid three times and once a bride. I always thought I’d like to be a ‘best man’ (just for the fun) but that has yet to happen. But let me be clear, I’m not planning any trans gender change.
9. I am seriously thinking about getting my first tattoo. It was to be this week but this week has been a disaster and I thought it was best not to do something as permanent as a tattoo when my head was all over the place.
10. The biggest sadness in my life is the argument I had with my father moments before he died. We didn’t argue often so it was definitely out of the ordinary. We both said things that hurt the other. I think I’ve got to a point of forgiving myself but wish for just a few moments with him to say sorry and make sure he knows I love him. I often still talk to him anyway so hopefully he knows.
11. The happiest time of my life was in 1990 when I spent four months globe-trotting with two friends. Oh, to do that again!
12. I admit I can’t really be bothered with the Olympics. I’ll take it or leave it.
13. I am very passionate about people being treated fairly and am quite disturbed by the way the New Zealand Government is handling the rebuild process in Christchurch after the earthquakes. For some reason buildings, churches and sports grounds come before people and that breaks my heart.
14. One of the most useful books I ever read was ‘How I Stayed Alive When My Brain Was Trying to Kill Me‘ by Susan Rose Blauner.
Wow, I actually got to 14 and had a couple left up my sleeve. You’ll just have to wait for those but meanwhile I hope you weren’t too bored.
For the Seven Things ABout Me Award I would like to nominate:
Frank at Shitegeist
Ruby at I Was Just Thinking. . .
As for The Sisterhood of the World Bloggers Award I would like to do something a little different. Obviously this Award is for female bloggers but I think there is occasion when perhaps an honorary award could be made to a man. I don’t want to step on anyone’s toes and I certainly don’t want to break any rules created when the award started but I happen to know that one particular male blogger has expressed interest in becoming an honorary member of the Sisterhood. Personally I think this would be a good thing and I’m also keen to stamp out any suggestion of sexism. Therefore I would like to nominate for an honorary Sisterhood of the World Bloggers Award to:
Kevin at Voices of Glass
It is important to state that if any members of the Sisterhood have strong objections to this then it might need to be recalled. Also my talents are great, but not quite up to doctoring the Sisterhood image to show the honorary status, but I suspect Kevin is more than capable of doing this.
Meanwhile wouldn’t it be great if the male bloggers around set up their own similar Award? There’s my challenge to you guys. And my quote for today goes with that challenge:
“To remain indifferent to the challenges we face is indefensible. If the goal is noble, whether or not it is realized within our lifetime is largely irrelevant. What we must do therefore is to strive and persevere and never give up.”
― Dalai Lama XIV
- Wow! I Got Some Awards (infinitesadnessorhope.wordpress.com)
- Infinite Sadness… the book (infinitesadnessorhope.wordpress.com)